Diversity in Healthcare Youth Project
In the United States, 79% of occupational therapists are white. That number is even higher for speech-language pathologists at 92%. This needs to change. A diverse healthcare workforce means better health outcomes for all.
While many of our volunteers say they’d like to pursue a career in healthcare, the barriers for non-white students are significant enough that they are unable to achieve that goal. That’s where we come in.
Diversity in Healthcare is a seven week program where marginalized students attend workshops, speak with professionals in the field, and receive mentorship in order to reduce the barriers they face and prepare them for a future career in healthcare. Our ultimate goal? To see more diversity in the healthcare industry.
Diversity in Healthcare 2022 is finished. Stay tuned for dates and topics for next year! For more information, contact Sarah Miller at email@example.com
- Career information and advice from local professionals.
- Information on overcoming barriers often faced by marginalized students.
- Support from program staff until professional licensure.
- Access to volunteer opportunities
- Connection to local colleges and universities.
- $100 stipend for completing the program
- Part of a marginalized community
- Reside in Kent County, MI
- Enrolled in High School
- Able to commit to entire program