Myofunctional Therapy - Tongue Thrust
Tongue thrust therapy? What is it?
During swallowing and during rest posture the tongue may contribute to an unwanted moving of the teeth. The habit of resting the tongue between the teeth is commonly referred to as “tongue thrust.”
What causes it? One or more of the following:
- Thumb and finger sucking habits
- Habitual mouth breathing
- Open mouth resting posture
- Neurological problems
- Structural problems
- Development problems
The design of the treatment is:
- To develop an awareness of muscle function.
- To tone the muscles of the mouth.
- To change swallowing patterns to aid in orthodontic treatment.
- To establish a routine to make the new swallow a habit.
Correcting Tongue Thrust may:
- Guide the teeth into a desirable relationship during the growth and development years.
- Assist the orthodontist in the attempt to align the teeth and jaws.
- Assist in stabilizing the teeth during and/or after orthodontic treatment and/or surgery.
To learn more about Myofunctional Therapy or to schedule an appointment, email email@example.com or give us a call at 616-559-1054
Frequently Asked Questions
Do you accept insurance?
We accept many insurances, including:
- Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Blue Care Network
- United Health Care
- United Health Care- Community Plan
- Priority Health
If your insurance is not on here, reach out to us anyway. We can check with our insurance folks to see if we can add them to our list!
What if my insurance doesn't cover it?
All service fees are adjusted on a sliding scale, based on income. For programs like Therapy and Fun, we offer payment plans (not based on credit) over 6-9 months.
What documents do you need to get started?
We usually need the following items before we can schedule you:
- a copy of your insurance card
- a doctor’s referral (fax to 616-559-1056)
- a copy of your child’s IEP, if applicable
How long does it take to get an appointment?
We can usually see new clients within two weeks. The longest part of the process is usually waiting to hear back from insurance.